30.4.09

Just a little update

Dear lovelies,


Yesterday afternoon I received a bag of gifts from the British Council Indonesia. As I wrote you last Sunday, I visited the Green Earth Exhibition in which the British Council participated. Luckily I joined the blog competition with the theme "Save Our Environment", and I won. One of my favorite gifts I received is this notebook with 50 Tips to Save our Earth. Surely I would be very happy to share you all the tips. I think I will share one or two tips a day, how about that..?

Couple

So today I give you two tips:
"Go buy daily needs in shops near where we live"
and "Buy local products"


The idea is that the local products are cheap and save energy while the imported ones cost more and certainly produce more carbon emission in the process of transportation. And, by going shopping near where we live, we can go just by walking, save the cost of transportation, and certainly help to reduce the consumption on fuels. I believe many of you have done this already, right??

And that's what Mama does everyday. She doesn't like to go to the supermarket, she prefers to go to our traditional market. She says that the traditional market is more 'alive' and she really enjoys the walk to the market. When I am writing you this, Mama is on the way to the market. She told me when we had breakfast this morning that she missed to sell her flowers there. Once in while on Thursday or Friday Mama sells her jasmine and roses. The ladies in the market love to buy Mama's flowers because they are fresh and Mama offers cheap price. For Mama selling flowers is just for fun and like sharing as she loves the interaction with people. Why on these days you ask..?? oh, on Thursday and Friday the ladies here usually have praying gatherings in the afternoon, and jasmine and roses are favorite flowers in such ritual gatherings here in our cultures.

Anyway, I told Mama I would like to join her to the market, and she said "No!"... ha..??.... "You are always fussy, and I can't walk in pleasure!" "Just stay at home, do your things, and I'll be back with your favorite fish for the lunch". Oooohh... well well... so I am fussy she said. But she's right, I've got a lot of things to do today, gotta finish filling in my master degree scholarship application form, prepare the tests for my students tomorrow, my laundry, and..oh.. my translation job and some writings, oh la la.. I almost forgot them!

Oh ya, I thank you all for such a lovely comments on my post about the flood in the garden. A little update, my garden is doing great and well maintained by Mama. And I also thank you so so much for your comments on my 10,000th shot. I have to look for the shot #1 which was taken somewhere in December 2007 or around the New Year's Eve 2008. And no..no.. don't call me a photographer because I am not. I just do the shot with my simple pocket camera Canon Digi Ixus 75, not the SLR one ...I wish I had one, make it my b'day wish list... and I have no basic of photography at all. Taking photos is just my new musing since Gabriel gave me the camera as my Christmas gift in 2007.

And... please forgive me if today I'm not able to visit you all, soon I will as I love to read your beautiful posts! Happy Thursday everyone, I leave you with this quote as I lately feel that my life, actually, is in my hand. How about you? Tell me!

Kisses


p.s. Thank you Rosidah of Music of My Life for suggesting me these two links of great meme that I can join today! Love you darling!

Nature Notes of Rambling Woods:



Think Green Thursday by Pagan Sphinx:





14 comments:

RA said...

Wow, what a great update! Congrats, dear :). You could also submit these great tips to some green memes, like Think Green Thursday or Nature Notes. It's just a thought ;). Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

You well deserved it Ellie and am so happy for you that you won the competition. They picked the right winner. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Beautiful photo and thanks for the tips.

Paz

bobbie said...

Congratulations!

Buying locally can mean so much, for you, for the environment, and for the economy as well.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! your mama sounds like a sweet, thoughtful woman. love your photo.

Gemma Mira Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

What a beautiful post!
If only we could just return to more simple pleasures and ways of life, I am sure elusive happiness will naturally follow!

And congrats on your win!

maryt/theteach said...

An excellent post for Think Green Thursday! :)

Unknown said...

What a sweet post! And you've touched on a really important aspect of the green movement: buy locally! Excellent advise for Think Green Thursday!

Thank you for joining.

MyMaracas said...

What a lovely, gentle blog you have. Your post is wonderful, and I can almost smell your mother's jasmine and roses. Your photos are beautiful too!

RA said...

Thank you for linking to me, dear. I really appreciate it :).

Anonymous said...

Oh..thank you so much for participating in Nature Notes. I have been visiting with family and late to get around to comment. I took a look around at your beautiful blog. I think it would be so wonderful to be able to go to get fresh produce grown locally. Where I live in NY, that is only possible during the summer when the farmer's markets are open..Michelle

Carver said...

Congratulations on winning the competition and you have some great ideas. Lovely shot too.

Unknown said...

Great blog!!!

moosh said...

What a great post. It is wonderful to communiate with someone half way around the world who has similar intrest.