1.3.09

Today's Flowers: Little Almost Forgotten

Rambling in Mama's garden, I come to learn something. Have you ever thought of how the little ones are almost forgotten or simply unnoticed?? In life, We tend to focus on big things and hardly notice the importance of the little ones, right?

This almost-forgotten cute little flower is beautiful in my eyes. Hanging on the tree, it waits patiently for the time when it becomes something 'big'.




This flower is going to be a fruit! Naaaaa you see.....ta daaaaaa....




This fruit, the latin name is Averrhoa Bilimbi, is known as 'Belimbing Tunjuk' or 'Belimbing Wuluh', here in Indonesia it is used as one of the seasoning for cooking. It is also known as herb for medication: like for Hypertension, fever, asthma, alergy, and cough. The taste is so sour as it's rich in Vitamin C. Though it is sour, the Bugisnese from South Sulawesi are able to make this fruit as sweet as candy, really!



Anyway, since I go blogging introducing flowers from Mama's garden, it is quite challenging to get the name and the latin name of the flowers. I find this amusing, funny, and also a bit crazy as my study is actually far far away from botanical things and something like that =) ... what do you think????

Anyway, Happy Sunday everyone, and visit more flowers here or click on the logo of Today's Flowers on my side bar, oki dok? cheers!

18 comments:

Maria said...

What a beautiful exotic flower! I also love your rose pictures of February 8 so very much!
Thank you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. These are all wonderful but those first two are really stunning! Since I picked my camera back up I notice a lot more of the little things.
:-)

nazeee said...

hey I have that at my place... cool
http://sightsofmaldives.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-post_20.html

Unknown said...

I can see that you have sorted out our pixelation issues with your images. That's pretty neat.

The images are coming out really well now. And your music is mystic and soothing.

Ces Adorio said...

Hi, I came her via Arija's blog. Oh yes, we call it Balimbing or iba and some other names in the other islands. in when I was growing up in the Philippines. We use it for removing stains in clothes.

VALKYRIEN said...

You are so right! We often forget those little small things - and walk by! And to think of such a little flower can bring those fruits, is amazing! Never tasted the fruit though! Nice shots!

Arija said...

A very beautifully presented post with great information, beautiful flowers, fruit and foliage. Just great!

Unknown said...

Great post and you summed it up really well!!

Judy said...

The flowers are beautiful! The fruits are not, though! I am glad that you search for the names for the flowers, as it helps me to learn more about the parts of the world that I have not seen.

marie-louise said...

What an amazing flower, and then it turns into a large fruit. This reminds me a bit of the papaya or paw paw, only those flowers are white.

Bahiyah S. said...

I happened to 'stumble' on your blog. I must say that the pictures are beautiful. Great Eye!

RA said...

Hi Mariamellie, I had left you a comment earlier but it seems to be missing... Thank you for the information on my flower, what a surprise to meet someone from the same country. Du kannst ja auch Deutsch, dass finde ich toll! I love the photos on your blog. Keep in touch :)

RA said...

Ups I just realized that you might not have seen the comment yet ;p...

Anonymous said...

Every flower is a soul blossoming in nature
Very interesting..
That's why I love to visit other blogs.
Always something new to see and learn.

Jama said...

Those belimbing can be eaten with sambal belacan, sedap i tell you!
I love that big photo at the top of this page, simply awesome macro!

Redzlan said...

Nice 'belembing buluh'.

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Mariamellie

Interesting post of medicinal fruit!
Great sequence os takes about this plant!
It's also very educative!
Thanks for sharing.

Luiz

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Great post of a beautiful flower and the interesting part the fruit. I wonder if it is a relative of the five corner fruit which is also an Avorrhea species.
I like the idea of using the fruit also to make candy. Indonesia has a marvelous range of trees, plants in general we do not have a clue about. So it is great to learn more about them.